Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A bookstore story

Looking around today in a small used bookstore, I came across "Daniel Deronda". This is a fairly organized store, but the occasional book will find itself misplaced, usually just accidentally stuck one shelf above or below its appropriate home. But after a few moments of continued browsing, I found two extremely elegant editions of "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot, an entire bookcase away from "Daniel Deronda".

"Daniel Deronda", also written by George Eliot. I took a step back and where was Daniel? Alongside the complete works of Daniel Defoe. The chunky Deronda was quickly snatched and placed between "The Mill on the Floss" and "Adam Bede", thankfully located on the E shelf and nowhere near Samuel Beckett or Saul Bellow.

3 comments:

  1. Funny story, but also shows the wonderful serendipity that can still happen browsing in a bookstore, which you can't get online! (well, I guess you wouldn't need "serendipity" online, but I still love to browse and see what comes up!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty funny. Now the next person looking for Daniel Deronda will be able to find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Defoe at the moment, which makes quite a comparison to Eliot I must say!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to an increase in spam. Sorry!