Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Amazon review of the week

"Richard K. Woodward", reviewing Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" (edited out slight spoiler, otherwise complete):
See the film with Bill Murray instead The Razor's Edge. This book is so pretentious and over-written I had to finally put it down after making it halfway through... What Maugham says with five pages, Bill Murray says with a sentence, a gesture or a facial expression.
A man is entitled to his opinion, and apparently here he believes that the movie far exceeds the book. Just for the sheer originality of such a sentiment, this review should be touted, regardless of whether or not I agree (I don't agree, by the way). Woodward's review (as the sole 1-star review) shows not idiotic disregard, but rather a sincere feeling that the book was lacking. Even if I don't agree with it, I do need to respect that he chose to express it. And even be thankful that he did.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. A great review of a not so great review. Your tact is well spoken and conveyed here. I applaud how well you've managed this.

    BTW, thank you for the comment on my last review. The date was incorrect and I have correctly my blunder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these "amazing ammy reviews." lol
    I don't think The Razor's Edge is shallow and pretentious, although some parts of it are better than others. I found the whole search for truth theme very romantic, although I'm not sure if it holds up for a second reading.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to an increase in spam. Sorry!